OCC BULLETIN 2018-28
Subject: Deposit-Related Credit
Date: September 12, 2018
To: Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks and Federal Savings Associations; Federal Branches and Agencies; Department and Division Heads; All Examining Personnel, and Other Interested Parties
Description: Updated Comptroller’s Handbook Booklet
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) issued today the updated “Deposit-Related Credit” booklet of the Comptroller’s Handbook.
The updated “Deposit-Related Credit” booklet replaces the booklet of the same title issued in March 2015. Also replaced is OCC Bulletin 2015-17, “Deposit-Related Credit: Revised Comptroller’s Handbook Booklet.”
Note for Community Banks
The “Deposit-Related Credit” booklet applies to examinations of all national banks and federal savings associations engaged in deposit-related credit.
The updated booklet
- provides general guidance on the risks associated with deposit-related credit products, such as check credit, overdraft protection, and deposit advance products.
- includes updates due to the rescission of OCC Bulletin 2013-40, “Deposit Advance Products: Final Supervisory Guidance,” and the issuance of OCC Bulletin 2018-14, “Installment Lending: Core Lending Principles for Short-Term, Small-Dollar Installment Lending.”
- provides information regarding the Military Lending Act as implemented by the U.S. Department of Defense’s 32 CFR 232.
- incorporates references for OCC Bulletin 2017-21, “Third-Party Relationships: Frequently Asked Questions to Supplement OCC Bulletin 2013-29,” and OCC Bulletin 2017-43, “New, Modified, or Expanded Bank Products and Services: Risk Management Principles.”
- incorporates the prohibition in the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010 against unfair, deceptive, or abusive acts or practices.
Refer to the “Table of Updates Since Publication” in the booklet for a full listing of updates.
Contact Steven Jones, Director for Retail Credit Risk, at (202) 649-6220.
Grace E. Dailey
Senior Deputy Comptroller for Bank Supervision Policy and Chief National Bank Examiner