Guidance and Resources
Real Estate Lending
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency's (OCC) Comptroller's Handbook booklet, "Commercial Real Estate Lending," Version 1.1, January 27, 2017, provides guidance for bank examiners and bankers on commercial real estate (CRE) lending activities. For the purposes of this booklet, CRE lending comprises acquisition, development, and construction (ADC) financing and the financing of income-producing real estate.
Guidelines for Real Estate Lending Policies
Concentrations in Commercial Real Estate Lending, Sound Risk Management Practices (PDF) - Vol. 71 FR 74580, 2006-12-12, No. 238
Risk-Based Capital Treatment
OCC offers publications on topics related to multifamily and community development.
- Multifamily Housing Preservation: Innovative Partnerships (March 2017), describes the role of banks in preserving America's affordable rental housing and presents examples of how financial institutions and nonprofit organizations have utilized federal and state programs, tax incentives, loan funds, and the secondary market to create innovative partnerships in urban and rural areas.
- "Effective Strategies for Community Development Finance" (PDF 2.7 MB)
- Preservation of Affordable Multifamily Housing, Community Developments newsletter, spring 2008
- Small Multifamily Rental Property Financing Community Developments newsletter, Spring 2015. This issue describes what the small multifamily rental housing market looks like, some of the challenges the market faces, and the range of ways that banks and federal savings associations are active players in the market.
- "USDA Rural Housing Finance Programs: Loan Guarantee, Leveraged Loan, and Multifamily Loan," (PDF) Community Developments Fact Sheet
- Community Affairs: Rural Community Development Banking Resource Directory: This directory provides descriptions and contact information for a number of organizations and Web sites that can provide resources to national banks and federal savings associations interested in lending, investing, or providing retail financial services in rural communities.
- "Federal Home Loan Bank Programs for Community Investments," (PDF) Community Developments Fact Sheet
- Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) - Banks and thrifts may receive positive CRA consideration for their participation in loans or investments in affordable multifamily housing.
Community Development Investments Resources under the Public Welfare Investment Authority,
Under the 12 CFR 24 public welfare investment authority, banks may invest, directly or indirectly, in real estate development. Real estate development includes affordable multifamily housing projects that primarily benefit low- and moderate-income individuals, low- and moderate-income areas, or other areas targeted by a government entity for redevelopment. Banks may also invest under 12 CFR 24 if the investment would receive consideration under 12 CFR 25.23 (the CRA regulation) as a "qualified investment." Also see the OCC's public welfare investments (12 CFR 24) resource directory for further information and uses. Federal savings associations may make public welfare investments under specific authorities that are described on the OCC Public Welfare Investments Resource Directory.
Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program
This program encourages investment in multifamily housing targeted to low-income households. OCC offers several publications with information about the program for banks and thrifts.
Small City Economic Dynamism is a dataset compiled by the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta. The data was used to create the Small City Dynamism Index to help policy makers and practitioners gain more nuanced perspectives. The index ranks 244 small U.S. cities across 14 indicators of economic dynamism in four categories: demographics, economics, human capital, and infrastructure.
The County Health Rankings & Roadmaps program is a collaboration between the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute. The annual Rankings provide a revealing snapshot of how health is influenced by where we live, learn, work and play. The Roadmaps provide guidance and tools to understand the data, and strategies that communities can use to move from education to action.
Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University report on The State of the Nation's Housing 2017 provides a current assessment of the state of the housing market and the foreclosure crisis; the economic and demographic trends driving housing demand; the state of mortgage finance; and ongoing housing affordability challenges.
The Community Land Trust (CLT) Network's Research Collaborative partnered with Meagan Ehlenz, a doctoral student at the University of Pennsylvania, to produce a report titled, "Limited Equity Coops by Community Land Trusts: Case Studies and a Feasibility Assessment for the Hybrid Model." The report includes detailed project summaries of coop projects developed by CLTs and a tool to evaluate the feasibility of prospective multifamily limited equity coop projects.